Thursday, June 24, 2010

Write What Hurts

Lately, I've been finding it hard to move past the simple daily tasks:
Brush teeth,
Get kids ready
Work for 10 hours
Get kids home
Softball?
Church?
Bed
Do it again the next day.

But, thank God I'm a Christian, I don't know how the other half of the population survives w/o Christ in their hearts.
I have to confess this:
One morning, I awoke to my dastardly alarm clock.  I shut if off, quite forcefully, and went back to bed.
That's not the bad part...that's the mild part.
I HEARD my Savior calling to me. I literally HEARD Him.
What happened?
I was already lost in sleep.
Yeah...ouch.
Can you imagine the special time we could have had?!


But what did He offer when I woke up alert at six, saddened by my mistake?
Joy.
Yes.  That Joy Unspeakable.
I love my Savior.  If you don't know Him, ask me, but what a JOY!
..."They will soar on wings like eagles"
I was happy to read that.
Despite the energy sapping days I have, I can STILL have joy.
Amazing.
Purely Amazing.

..."but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 40:30-31

As a runner, I GET the not grow weary part, walk and not faint...if you're in Florida, you'd better have a gallon o' wata waiting at the end of your run!

...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength...
I just can't get over it.
Praise God He's so...Complete.
I've got joy again.
It's hard to hang on to it...but I just keep repeating those words over and over and over again.  I CAN hope.  I have all the tools I NEED to hope.  the LORD will renew my strength.  Not just sleep, not circumstances, not excitement for things on earth...only God can do it *write* :D

Now, on to the day's post...lol.  It's not long, I promise.  We done had church, so not much more can be said! lol

Not in a million years did I think I could write so passionately again.
I love it.
However, I've been afraid of my work in progress.
Why?
Becuase it's a scary subject.
One that has been battled for years.
In a nutshell, it's about abortion, and in some smaller light, government.

How do you find the courage to write what hurts?

Note:
Check these out.  They're great posts!

http://emergingnotemergency.blogspot.com/
http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/2010/06/risky-gift.html
http://seekerville.blogspot.com/2010/06/courage.html

10 comments:

  1. Writing what hurts engages the writer's passion and makes for excellent reading. I'm humbled and surprised to see you mention my blog, Kelly. Thanks! I'll check out the others. Joy in the midst of the mundane, huh? I love that, and it speaks well to my predicament... content with the state (or town) I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, honey.
    Your blog really helped me grasp what God was trying to say to me this morning.

    Mary DeMuth wrote on Rachelle's blog, and she really put it out there.
    And on Seekerville? Wow.
    Really spoke to my heart.
    Hope you enjoy them!
    They're good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing what hurts makes us vulnerable. Many people prefer to wear masks that hide their true depths. But when we share our hearts, we enable our readers to connect on an even deeper level with our characters. God can use our words to minister to someone who is in deep need of hearing the Truth. Often, God uses my own manuscripts to teach me a lesson.

    I love love love the verse from Isaiah. Now the chorus is going through my head. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so welcome, Lisa :)
    Yeah, I've been reading about partial birth abortion side effect, the procedure itself hurts to read...but what the women feel...ouch.
    Post Abortion Syndrome, and it goes so much farther than I expected.
    I have to reevaluate my character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing what hurts is what makes our writing vulnerable and relatable. It's not easy, but oh so worth it.

    This was a great post, Kelly. Such a great reminder that with Christ at the center, we are taken care of.

    On a different note - how amazing you get to go to the Holy Land!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I know! lol
    It was great.

    Thanks girls for your info.

    Writing what hurts really has opened me up to a deeper writer that was in there. I can't wait to go deeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, sister! So glad I found your blog and your inspirational words.

    You have to find courage to write about the hard things because your words may help someone else, someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw man, thank you so much, Margo.
    That is really encouraging.

    God will use our weaknesses.
    Where we're weak, He is strong!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Kelly, your writing is magnetic. It literally (haha. pun intended.) sucks you in.

    The most important thing in writing is to write the truth. (Paraphrasing Stephen King here- totally recommend his "On Writing") and sometimes the truth hurts. But writing it and reading it keeps us honest. And relevant. And alive.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo, Lainie!
    I've gotta read that one :D
    Thanks, girl!

    ReplyDelete