Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes (Review)

Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes
was a heart-wrenching story of a mother with cancer.  In it, Genevive "Jenny" Lucas moves back to her hometown to get her affairs in order.

In the final stages of cancer, Jenny strives to reconcile with her father, set order to her daughter's future and come to grips with her fate.
She does, very gracefully.

Gina Holmes placed me into the worst of my fears.
As a mother of two boys, every line, every feeling, every thought process of this dying mother left me in tears.

She skillfully carried me along for this journey, and placed a holy fire under me to appreciate the life I have with my children and husband.
I've been showing this book to my friends and begging them to experience it. 

Even the cover suggests the mother is holding secrets, and it's heartbreaking to see her innocent child playing in the sand, her world about to crumble.  And that's exactly what happened.  Their world crumbled to pieces, and I watched helplessly through a book-shaped screen.

I felt so strongly for these characters, and went through each harrowing decision Jenny had to make, standing right by her side.

VERY well done, Gina Holmes!
I've recommended it highly!

(This review is done for my own growth and experience as an aspiring author.)

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of this book before. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was GREAT!!!!
    I loved it
    I'm having to deal with loss in my WIP, and I had to venture to that dark place.
    :(
    It was a really good book.
    I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete